View Single Post
Old November 30, 2012, 01:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Don't exaggerate the interface is fine. 1 mouse click and you are at a fully functioning desktop.

Everyone is hating on this windows 8 interface. Honestly metro is cosmetic and for mobile devices whenever you load up your machine is the only time you ever need to see it and one mouse click is all it takes to get to the desktop (there are even apps that circumvent this). It's really not bad guys, it's not even like you are losing time in that mouse click because it boots faster than windows 7 anyways.

it's more like "lets give our core customers more speed and the interface they are used to as well as giving them the option for this interface which mobile users will appreciate and maybe some desktop users will adopt as well.

And for people who complain about the start menu just use the windows button. It looks like your start menu button it is just conveniently located on your keyboard right under your pinky finger. Oh and by the way if pressing the windows button on your keyboard is too taxing just get an app that adds in the start menu on your desktop. Problem solved.
Truth be told, that never occured to me at all. I'll have a look at it the next time I'm in a store with a pile of win8 laptops.... if it works as advertised (as in the same way it does under windows7) it seems such a simple solution that I'm curious as to why it hasn't already been put out as an obvious and easy route to full start button functionality.

If it works for me, I might actually take the plunge and give it a full try on my laptop (assuming the drivers are there) to see if any of the other annoyances folks have mentioned (IE10 default/non default issues won't bother me as I use it anywise).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Post edit: Just wanted to set the record straight on this in case anybody sees this post and thinks that it's a solution... it is absolutely not a solution to the lack of a start button, or method to launch desktop programs. All it does is switch between the metro and desktop interfaces, it doesn't in any way allow for easy launching of desktop programs.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; December 2, 2012 at 05:18 PM.