View Single Post
Old November 28, 2012, 11:44 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Just to be clear, if someone 'robs' your laptop...it doesnt matter if the drive is encrypted or not. Most auto-encrypting SSDS provide a SEAMLESS experience for the end user. Its only when you remove the drive and try in a different system that the encryption comes into play. The only way to do lock down a device which is NOT in your possession is with AES 256 and a strong password. This last bit is just as important as the first. IMHO, 99.9% of home users wont go through all those hoops (ie having to log on and give a long ass password that is hard to guess). The other .1% should be looking at Enterprise grade SSDs. The Intel DC S3700 has this feature built in (and is end user configurable)....but that is all I can say on those drives right now. ;)
I know many users who have set drive passwords that must be entered before using the system. It is especially effective on laptops. Encryption that works without any access authentication is worthless in a laptop for any drive. ANd these are not enterprise but personal systems. Those who go the trouble and in soem cases expense for encrypting and then set it up so it's automatic are just deluding themselves when it coems to security - which sadly is the norm amongst the general population.

I still say it is an unfortuante decision. It would cost nothing for them to have enabled it and given the USER the option whether or not to use it.