View Single Post
Old November 21, 2012, 05:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If it's a drastically different board then sysprep is the surefire the way to go. I just did this and it works perfectly. It was Intel to Intel but 1366 x58 to 1155 z77.

Go to your "c:\windows\system32\sysprep\" folder. Double-click on the sysprep application.

Make sure "Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE)" is selected, check off "Generalize", select "Shutdown" and click "Ok".

If you get a message stating "A fatal error has occured blah-blah yackety-schmackity etc....." then you'll need to kill the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing" service and run sysprep again. You can get there by typing "services.msc" into the windows programs and files search area at the bottom of the start menu.

Install your new mobo and other stuff. Make sure your HDD is set as the boot drive in the bios.... obviously haha.

Once you boot up it'll seem as though you just did a fresh install of windows. When prompted create a new user account. After that you can select your original account name to log in and delete the new account you just created. Install all your new drivers and you should be good to go.

Edit: From what I've read this method is supposed to remove all hardware ID's from the OS and resets everything so you shouldn't have to call M$ to reactivate Windows. At least I didn't have to.

Last edited by Killswitch; November 21, 2012 at 05:44 PM.