View Single Post
Old November 21, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Well, in response to that I can say: this isn't an Acer....thank God.
What is the issue with the Acer s3's? I have been looking around but I can't find many complaints about the newer models so if you got something I would love to know because my girlfriend really wants one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
That's what happens when a product category becomes commoditized... just look at LCD's in general. It wasn't too long ago that the AVERAGE laptop price was well over $2K and now everyone laughs at people who buy a $2K laptop and calls them idiots (I don't though because they are buying quality). There is no more build quality left in laptops, with a very few exceptions... Apple MBPR, HP Elitebooks, Lenovo W series and not much else.
I really don't see that much build quality in the MBPR, they look pretty but I don't know anyone who hasn't gone through atleast 2 in 4 years of university and I have one friend who has gone through 1 per year (1 the thing had a meltdown, the thermal paste somehow dried up and then the safety features didn't kick in and his processor was pooched, and his newest one had a hack soldering job and the memory came loose).

I understand the quality purchase but I would rather spend $1000 on a laptop and replace it twice as often so I can get newer technology. Anyone who bought a $2000 laptop 2 years ago is SOL on USB 3.0 and sata III for the next couple years. I bought a crappy $500 HP and I have had it for 3.5 years now. The battery is pooched, she runs hot and is a little slow but it still works and I don't have the money to replace it. How much more can I ask for? I got more life out of a $500 machine than most people will get out of their $2000 machine. I guess to be fair I opened it up, cleaned it out and replaced the thermal paste on the cpu and removed the thermal pad and copper shiv from the graphics chipset and replaced it with paste otherwise she would be burning up and non-functional.

Last edited by JJThomp; November 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM.