View Single Post
Old November 21, 2012, 12:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

As a part time home theater installer I love Panasonic Plasmas. I own two personally, a 50" 720P in my bedroom and a 65" 1080P G10 THX Certified in my home theater room. Plasma screens will give you the best black level performance there is as they control luminosity on a per pixel level as opposed to a LED LCD screen. The only exception to that was some Samsung and Sony LED LCD's that used a grid aray of LED's to back light and could dim them independently. Most all modern LED LCD TV's use edge lighting to maintain thinness.

There is no one catch all answer to your question and anyone who tells you there is probably hasn't done their homework. It's very application dependent, as is 720P vs 1080P. Some things to consider.

LCD and LCD LED TV's are great for enviroments where light control might be a problem such as kitchens and living rooms. Most have a non-reflective antiglare coating that plasma cannot duplicate. LCD's are also great for displaying static images for long periods of time such as when using a HTPC. Lastly, LCD TV's are excellent in terms of power consumption, generally being far more energy efficent and running vastly cooler than their plasma counterparts.

Plasma's are the king of reference quality imaging in a direct view screen (projectors still trump them). Plasmas excel at black level performance when properlly calibrated. Many technologies LCD has implemented were designed to fix problems that were not inherrent to plasma screens such as black levels, motion blurring (plasmas tend to run between 500-600hz vs 240 on a high end LCD), and gama uniformity. Plasma's have a tendency to be glossy and reflective making them a poor choice for a brightly lit enviroment.

I'm really simplifying here but like I said, it's application dependent. If you could give me some more information about your application I could give you better advice. Things like viewing distance, ambient lighting, and application would help as would what you're planning to feed it. BluRay? Video Games? HDTV? Etc.

Last edited by Skippman; November 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM.