View Single Post
Old November 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
CPUs and GPUs do different types of science too
It's actually because CPUs and GPUs will now be able to do the same science thanks to the new Gromacs core that QRB is being introduced to GPUs. This way, PG can pursue an ideal of "equal pay for equal work." A noble pursuit in theory, but a perilous one in reality. I explain:

The problem with the equal pay/equal work ideal is that it is precisely that - an ideal. Everybody knows the wide variation in productivity of the same hardware depending on the WU - so the very concept of equal pay/equal work is completely broken in the fah context. For example, when Quicksilver is working on P8102, it produces a 45% higher PPD than when it is working on P8101. So much for equal. Many similar examples on the GPU side of things, lest we forget those 511s. Since both intra-CPU and intra-GPU equality is broken, pursuing equality across platforms will also, necessarily, be broken.

As such, it is an unattainable ideal. The reason this is of some concern is this: Break the points system enough, and eventually it won't work any more.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!