View Single Post
Old November 11, 2012, 08:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Sat my buddy down in front of my folding Win8 machine yesterday. He got pretty pissed pretty quick.

While I agree that it sucks, and removing the Start menu is a mistake, I don't get that we should not have to ever install software to regain functionality and be happy with an OS. This happens all the time.

Got a new phone this week. What was the first thing I did? Got root access. Then I installed a launcher (Nova), which sounds eerily like something Start8 does on Win8. Then I installed widgets so that I would easily access functions of the OS, like wifi and screen brightness.

Now, I am looking for a good USB mass storage app so I can use my Android phone in a manner I have for ages...as a USB drive on Windows XP. They all seem to need root.

Actually come to think of it, I had to do a heck of a lot of work to get myself happy with my Android OS, to the point of potentially voiding my warranty.

Maybe Stardock should have called Start8 a 'launcher' lol...maybe people would give them a break. I don't see the difference here; while I don't agree with removing the Start Menu functionality, MS is just doing something that the industry does all the time.
Mainly because having the start button there runs counter to what M$'s vision is, so I wouldn't be surprised if every second update breaks that start button. Besides that, I refuse to reward bad behaviour by accepting a sub standard product.

I made my point earlier this week while shopping for a low(er) end laptop to replace my mother's P4 thinkpad... dell had a great deal on an i3, but I had a look at both FS and Staples for comparisons... Staples had nothing that tickled my fancy, and all of the sub $500 laptops at FS were Win8, and when I asked the salesperson about it, she admitted that the lack of win7 on those laptops was a noticable problem when it came to moving them.

This is a laptop for somebody who probably turns it on for an hour or so a couple of times a week... adjusting to win7 from XP is going to be a bit of a hassle for her (she's in another city so I can't walk her through it), attempting to adjust to win8 with it's non-intuitive / no visible indication of how it works metro setup is an absolute non-starter.

on top if all this, I noticed that the dell I was looking at is also offered with Ubuntu @ a $50 discount.... is that dell pushing back against M$'s attempt to push win8 on them?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP