Old November 10, 2012, 05:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Damnit, I want my holodeck now!
That's probably patent-encumbered

The graphics quality of the games these days are "good enough" for me, but more powerful GPUs will continue to be needed for decades IMHO, even if we don't call them GPUs anymore. Try not to limit your thinking to higher resolution textures:

One thing I'd like to see the extra compute going to is AI that really uses machine learning so you can't actually beat it six times in a row with the exact same strategy. In strategy games, GPU compute would be really fun to have to simulate the people in cities and towns.
Other stuff that could be cool is better physics in materials of games. For instance, what about throwing in REAL materials properties into a game. Think for example if you throw a grenade into a building with occupants in an FPS, the unfortunate victims don't just have generic red spots or scripted destruction of limbs, but you can actually see the shrapnel bits from the 'nade and some random furniture fragments sent flying in the explosion.