View Single Post
Old November 7, 2012, 09:29 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
I don't know what you are using for your VM software but yes you should be able to. If you view your NICs are ports on a router with the ability to plug into ether side of the router virtually then it might make it clearer.

Internet-->PC NIC1(disable iptcp4 on host)-->pfsense VM with two NICs-->PC NIC2(keep host settings normal, gateway, dhcp etc)-->home switch

this will have your host PC go out onto your home switch and then do a 180(might be smart enough never to actually hit the switch but think of it this way) and came back through for the bridged pfsense router connection. VMware is pretty easy to do this with, I assume the others would be equally easy. if you use vmware, I would use the workstation or player over the windows vmware server.... it is garbage imho. If you really want to do it right use ESX and vm your current server with a separate vm for pfsense.
That's exactly my own setup, using ESXi as the back end and VMSphere as the front end, with the Autostart feature enabled in both BIOS and VMSphere. Hardware is Asus M3A78-EM + AMD 920BE + Intel Gbit PCI NIC + 2Gb DDR2. ESXi is loaded on a USB stick, with a duplicate back-up inside the case if it ever dies. Secondary HDD is an old Hitachi 500Gb.

Now if you have a more powerful rig, you can easily add other VMs using VMSphere. I run W8, Ubuntu and OSX alongside PfSense.