View Single Post
Old November 6, 2012, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't go for a tablet just because you may run into the odd case where you're asked to run software that isn't supported properly on a tablet (e.g. does the Java plug-in work on Windows RT)? Silly stuff like that is still being used in things like WebCT for submitting assignments. Note at least my school doesn't give MS Office cheap unless you're an "employee", in which case you qualify for the ~$10 Microsoft HUP license. I currently use Office 365 Home Premium Preview which is beta but I haven't encountered any problems yet.

For those basic uses however you could go lower than $700, especially if you avoid the "ultrabook" label:
Acer 14" Intel Core i3 2310M Laptop (TM4750-6886) : 14" Laptops - Best Buy Canada
Acer Aspire V5 14" 2nd Gen Intel Core i3-2365M Laptop (V5-471-6803) - Silver : 14" Laptops - Future Shop

If those school papers are regularly going to be longer than 1 page, believe me that the extra screen space of a 13.3" or 14.1" greatly outweighs (pardon the expression), the reduced weight of the smaller computers. Besides, laptops are a lot lighter than they were even 3 years ago and actually survive 3h lectures on the "default" battery.

Last edited by frontier204; November 6, 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Other link