View Single Post
Old November 5, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
I upgraded to WIndows 8 Pro in order to break the 16 GB RAM limit in Windows 7 Home Edition. And that worked.

For the most part Windows 8 is OK - takes some getting used to and frankly I spend 95% of my time in the Desktop view. Yep I miss START - but I live. I'll have to find out how to list all programs in Desktop but I'm still learning.

I encountered a problem, Internet Explorer 10 stopped working. It tires to open and gives the error that
Internet Exploer has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. And it closes it, and immediately reopens it, closes and opens etc etc. Task Manager to break the loop.

So I check on MS Forums to see what to do. MAKE IE your default browser. Well that works - sort of. It works in the Metro view, but not in Desktop. That is sad that IE Must be Default to work. A little bit of MS is Boss thinking there.

All the solutions they suggested could not get IE operational again in Desktop. I broke it.

Interesting it works OK when my wife logs in under her user name. So it has to be a setting. But I did go to the "reset IE" to all defaults including removing all personalizations and add ins.

SO - since I want a browser in desktop, and since I prefer Chrome to IE I guess IE gets deleted from the start and unpinned from the taskbar. The

Frankly I am not eager to learn how to use the IE 10 Browser in Metro - it just isn't intuitive. Took me a while to learn how to close it for pity sakes.

I still have not figured out how to get my IL2 Sturmovik to work in Win8 - but X-Plane does work. (although I had to temporarily disable dual graphics to get it to load - but once installed it will run in dual-graphics mode. Now all I have to do is learn to fly without crash landing. The Dogfighter flight game I had trouble with earlier worked fine after I tried to install IL2 - I think it was because IL2 updated DirectX 10. I wonder if it is a Steam thing or a Windows 8 thing that keeps that program from working. Anyone finding problems with Win8 and Steam Games? Or maybe it is my pitifully slow internet connection that prevents me from running a Steam game??? Never had a Steam game before - and at this rate won't get another one - not knowingly anyway.

Sigh
This makes absolutely no sense... You really need more than 16gb of ram? And if you do why would you waste money and time on 8. Just upgrade to 7 Pro and be done with it.