View Single Post
Old November 4, 2012, 05:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thumbs down Internet Explorer MUST BE DEFAULT?

I upgraded to WIndows 8 Pro in order to break the 16 GB RAM limit in Windows 7 Home Edition. And that worked.

For the most part Windows 8 is OK - takes some getting used to and frankly I spend 95% of my time in the Desktop view. Yep I miss START - but I live. I'll have to find out how to list all programs in Desktop but I'm still learning.

I encountered a problem, Internet Explorer 10 stopped working. It tires to open and gives the error that
Internet Exploer has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. And it closes it, and immediately reopens it, closes and opens etc etc. Task Manager to break the loop.

So I check on MS Forums to see what to do. MAKE IE your default browser. Well that works - sort of. It works in the Metro view, but not in Desktop. That is sad that IE Must be Default to work. A little bit of MS is Boss thinking there.

All the solutions they suggested could not get IE operational again in Desktop. I broke it.

Interesting it works OK when my wife logs in under her user name. So it has to be a setting. But I did go to the "reset IE" to all defaults including removing all personalizations and add ins.

SO - since I want a browser in desktop, and since I prefer Chrome to IE I guess IE gets deleted from the start and unpinned from the taskbar.

Frankly I am not eager to learn how to use the IE 10 Browser in Metro - it just isn't intuitive. Took me a while to learn how to close it for pity sakes.

I still have not figured out how to get my IL2 Sturmovik to work in Win8 - but X-Plane does work. (although I had to temporarily disable dual graphics to get it to load - but once installed it will run in dual-graphics mode. Now all I have to do is learn to fly without crash landing. The Dogfighter flight game I had trouble with earlier worked fine after I tried to install IL2 - I think it was because IL2 updated DirectX 10. I wonder if it is a Steam thing or a Windows 8 thing that keeps that program from working. Anyone finding problems with Win8 and Steam Games? Or maybe it is my pitifully slow internet connection that prevents me from running a Steam game??? Never had a Steam game before - and at this rate won't get another one - not knowingly anyway.

Sigh