View Single Post
Old October 31, 2012, 01:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded1 View Post
I am looking to buy a new nVidia gtx 550 ti gpu, but I am not sure what brand I should buy. Is there a brand that is better than all the others?

I already have an EVGA gtx 550 ti installed, and need to replace it with a new one. I am not the most tech savvy person, but all signs indicate that my card is failing. I have been getting a lot of black, pink, yellow, teal, and white screen crashes over the last three days. I've tried cleaning out dust, updating drivers, repairing files, and rolling back to older drivers, with the problem only getting worse. The card I have now is not quite a year old yet, but I am not sure if that is a normal lifespan or not. I wouldn't mind getting a new EVGA card if it is, as I haven't had any problems with it up until now.

I am by no means a hardcore gamer, but I do play games like Skyrim, The Secret World, GW2, etc. My case is not that big, so I have already ruled out MSI's Cyclone as its fan is way too big to fit, and anything much bigger than EVGA's will definitely cause overheating to be a problem.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
By chance is the card registered with EVGA? If not you should still get a minimal warranty with them. I would go the route of trying to get the Card RMA'd first and foremost.

That being said, if you are looking for a cheap upgrade to what you have, getting a GTX650TI would be a sensible alternative (30% more performance) for about the same cost as a new 550TI.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com