View Single Post
Old October 31, 2012, 01:33 PM
Rookie

Default Which brand of nVidia GTX 550 Ti Should I buy?

I am looking to buy a new nVidia gtx 550 ti gpu, but I am not sure what brand I should buy. Is there a brand that is better than all the others?

I already have an EVGA gtx 550 ti installed, and need to replace it with a new one. I am not the most tech savvy person, but all signs indicate that my card is failing. I have been getting a lot of black, pink, yellow, teal, and white screen crashes over the last three days. I've tried cleaning out dust, updating drivers, repairing files, and rolling back to older drivers, with the problem only getting worse. The card I have now is not quite a year old yet, but I am not sure if that is a normal lifespan or not. I wouldn't mind getting a new EVGA card if it is, as I haven't had any problems with it up until now.

I am by no means a hardcore gamer, but I do play games like Skyrim, The Secret World, GW2, etc. My case is not that big, so I have already ruled out MSI's Cyclone as its fan is way too big to fit, and anything much bigger than EVGA's will definitely cause overheating to be a problem.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

UPDATE: I put in a RMA, and after two weeks got a replacement from EVGA. I was excited. However, one week later after installing it, I began to have some of the same issues I was having with the original card though on a lesser scale. I hesitate to blame EVGA, but it's been about five days since I removed the replacement card from my system and I haven't had a single problem. So I guess I'll be looking into getting a gtx 650ti after all (and if I'm lucky maybe I can have my family get it for Christmas). I really don't want to get another card from EVGA, but as it looking now that may be my only option as that one is rated higher than the others, and seems to be the only card that will fit in my case without causing me overheating issues.

Last edited by Jaded1; November 27, 2012 at 09:17 AM.