View Single Post
Old October 31, 2012, 11:47 AM
Top Prospect

Default Adding a window and hole for a radiator to a side panel.

I'm getting a Fractal Design Define XL. What I'll be doing is adding a 3 fan Rad in the basement for a liquid cooled system. What I want to do is take the current side and make some cuts for the rad out the side, and also add a window that covers the entire upper section where the mobo and everything is at.

Basically it'll look like this: (where the rad is in black, window is clear, and the grey is the existing panel)

I have seen some great stuff where people just make the entire side clear acrylic cut a space out for the radiator, but my thing is I don't want to have to screw the entire panel in to the side, I'd like to just add a large acrylic window to the current panel and cut out a spot for the radiator to get air.

My question is this, the Define series has a soundproof material on the side wall that would obviously need to be removed, anyone ever done this? Also, when adding the acrylic window, I'm going to have to obviously attach the window to the panel, I have some nylon push retainer anchors, or should i use something else to fasten it to the panel? Any ideas on what would be a good thickness for the acryilic? I was looking on delviesplastics.com and they have 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, and 3/4" for thickness. I'd like to avoid distortion and just have a nice clear display of my hard work on the case.

The other thing I'm trying to figure out is if there is a best practice (or best method) way of doing this? I've never done any sort of fabrication/alteration outside of putting together furniture so talk to me like I have no idea of what I'm doing.