View Single Post
Old October 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

So I believe its the Rogers version. I have the Bell version, and am running completely stock (factory) right now. Fully stock too. I was using the ATT version for a while. Its safe to use an ATT one.

The trouble with using the Jelly Bean roms and such is poor S-pen support. The modified Bell, ATT, etc roms have S-pen functionality which I like.

I'll give you a few links, but I don't know which rom is the best right now as I have not flashed a rom since July.

This first one, is the proper XDA forum for your device:
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717 - xda-developers
More noob-friendly resource:
Galaxy Note I717 | Root Galaxy Note

So, I'll give you a breakdown of some terms you need to know (if I am wrong someone will correct me I'm sure). I can't do a full guide right now, but I'll get you started and point you to the places I used to get up to speed in a few hours:

Odin: this is the software you run on your computer. Samsung utility to flash software to your phone. This raises the flash counter, which will alert Samsung if you return it that you flashed something. Rumour is that this can result in a voided warranty. I believe it, but don't know of refused warranty claims. You will use Odin to flash a new recovery.

Recovery: You will have to use Odin to get a new recovery on your phone. The recovery software is typically used to flash custom roms/OSes. The recovery I used back in the summer was CWM recovery (clockworkmod). I believe the new thing is or TWRP. I have not used it.

Modem/Radio: the software/firmware that gives you connectivity. Sometimes a rom includes a modem, sometimes it does not. You can sometimes mix and match various modems with different roms. You flash a modem using the recovery. The modem files are zip files.

ROM: this is the OS essentially. It is usually a zip file, that you flash using recovery.

SD Card: Android has an internal SDCard partition, which has nothing to do with the removable SD Card you install yourself. So, if you see internal SD card, then they mean the Android SDCard partition. External SD Card means a removable micro sd card. Every rom and modem I have flashed I put it on the microsd card btw.

Cache: there are two types of caches in Android...a regular cache for OS functions, etc, and a 'dalvik' cache. Dalvik cache gets full of stuff when installing programs essentially. These caches should be cleared after you flash anything. I did it three times. Your recovery software (ie. CWM) will have options for clearing cache.

APK: this is an Android installer file. Similar to a zip, .msi, self-extracting exe, etc.

So, basically IIRC, here are the steps:
1. Use Odin to flash a new recovery.
2. Use recovery to flash a rom, and possibly a modem as well.
3. Clear caches every time you flash something.
4. If you see 'fix permissions', this is done in the recovery program too.

Here is a great starter thread:
[REF] Start up guide for rooting, recovery, ROMs, de-brick, and tether updated 05/23 - xda-developers

Read through that. It will explain everything I just did, but in more detail.
Fold for team #54196