View Single Post
Old October 30, 2012, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
There are plenty of ways to institute a metal case without running into any of the issues you detailed....
Not the permanent deformation, metal cases don't do elastic deformation like plastic. Plastic makes the best casing for strength purposes, I know that sounds ridiculous but it has a good balance of qualities to make durable cases. I do agree with you that rubberized plastic backing would be better however the metallic backing it purely aesthetic and really doesn't provide much functionally.

Shock absorption can be dealt with by putting rubber inside the aluminum case but to make a difference you need atleast 1mm thickness (and really it still isn't doing much) and now you are making your phone thicker which people will then complain about. You could also mount shock absorbing pads to keep the goods safe but yet again you are making your phone thicker and more prone to things going loose (since with shock absorbing pads you need to use adhesive and not screws otherwise the energy is just transferred through the screw and the pad does nothing.

All solutions have trade offs, plastic feels cheaper, aluminum is just an inferior product and rubber needs to be thick.

For me I think the best option would be plastic coated with Bitfenix's Softouch coating to make it feel a little more high end but functionally it is the same product.