View Single Post
Old July 5, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Alright today were gonna look at the Coolermaster HD cage that comes with the Cosmos S. If you noticed the original Cosmos had space for 6 hard drives, well the Cosmos S comes with an HD cage seen below with space for 4 Hard Drives you can add an additional 2 more into your case if you desire which still leaves spaces for your Dvd Writer. Im going to compare this HD cage to the Thermaltake ICAGE which sells for 15-20 dollars depending where you buy it.

Coolermaster Cosmos S HD Cage it can hold up to 4 hard drives and it is pretty light weight and has shock absorbers for minimizin noise from the hard drives.

The Cosmos S Fan on the HD cage the fan is rated at the following taken from the Coolermaster website: Front fan(intake): one 120x120x25mm, 1200 rpm, 17 dBA (included) The fan glows an almost amber red. When compared to the rest of my system it was the loudest sounding fan.

The Thermaltake Icage

The fan on the Thermaltake Icage has the following ratings from the Thermaltake website: 120 x 120 x 25 mm fan, 1300 RPM, 17 dBA

Alright first off the Thermaltake Icage only holds 3 hard drives but the space in between each hard drive is large and for cooling this is a plus but what makes this shine is the fan it has a blue glow compared to the red glow of the Coolermaster cage.
Both the Thermaltake fan and Coolermaster fan are rated at 17dba but i could clearly hear the noise of the coolermaster fan and the Thermaltake fan runs 100 rpm faster and blows more air with less sound. Once i took of the coolermaster fan and installed the Thermaltake fan the annoying sound i was hearing went away. Im running 6x Noctua Nf-p12s and an Antec Spot cool fan on high.

On the plus for the Coolermaster cage is the ability of being able to install 4 Hard drives but the annoying sound of the fan on this cage was a turn off and a no brainer for me to switch the fan and i like the blue better personally but its not for everyone.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Last edited by Dashock; July 5, 2008 at 04:46 PM.