View Single Post
Old October 26, 2012, 05:15 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm not sure if the average joe who buys a $600 pre-built from wallymart is going to be willing to shell out the cash required for a mac. More than likely they're going to decide that the browser on their Xbox / media device is all that they use so why even bother with a desktop PC that doesn't do what they need anywise.

Seriously, how many average home users actually use their printer? If you're not printing, and the only games you play are java / facebook then what do you need a desktop PC for? Bringing home a win8 desktop with its non-intuitive interface will drive that point home.
People will often buy something more expensive out of exasperation and on a whim. Consider this:

John walks in to Best Buy, is not technically savvy and just wants something easy to use. Using a PC of some kind over the last 20 years, just started to get comfortable with his Windows XP machine that he just bought in 2003, and wonders why it is so slow since he only uses 4 smiley IE toolbars.

Walks up to all these new machines running Windows 8, and is now confused even more since it all looks different. Asks the salesperson "what about these Apple computers I see commercials about?" Sales associate takes him over to a Mac, and John is back to being more comfortable in the desktop environment. Sees the sticker price, walks back to the Win 8 machine, gets frustrated, and decides to get the Mac cause he is tired of thinking about this. Salesperson is happy that they made a sale for a more expensive machine too.

Obviously over-simplified, but the combination of effective advertising, frustration with Metro/familiarity with a desktop environment, and salespeople who might push towards an easy sale will drive folks towards Macs more often. Just the other day a colleague of mine asked what computer he should buy, and I told him to get a Win 7 machine asap and gave him suggestions. He then asked me if Apple was planning on changing Macs in the same way. This is what got me thinking.
Fold for team #54196