Old October 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culbrelai View Post
Please don't attempt to demean me.

Okay.

At least now we're getting somewhere.

What if both Xeons are overclocked to 3.5GHZ and the 3930k overclocked to its max stable.

Then what? It was my understanding that two processors comparing to one was comparing apples to oranges because they work differently...
Debates on differences between the architectures of the Xeons and the i7s is very much a case of apples to oranges, but such is not the case here. Those benchmarks I presented were scored based on both processors running the exact same program, performing the exact same task. Differences in the processor architecture are null in the face of such values.

A 3930k will easily and stabily overclock from 3.2GHz to 4.2-4.5GHz on air cooling depending on the CPU heatsink used and the skill level of the overclocker. What we're looking at here is about a 1GHz overclock in both cases. Admittedly the two Xeons equate to twice the cores as the 3930k and thus the 1GHz overclock will have more of an impact, but it is highly unlikely that overclocking the two Xeons would make up the remaining 1/3 performance difference plus the performance increase from overclocking the 3930k.