View Single Post
Old October 25, 2012, 05:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can you find a Seasonic SS-300ES power supply? (Really 200W would be enough if you're going for very low power.)

Also since it's just for downloading you can go to even lower watts with an AMD E-350 (a netbook processor):
AnandTech - The Brazos Review: AMD's E-350 Supplants ION for mini-ITX
Apparently there are some cases with 1080p video that makes it choke, but you can't get any better than that for power consumption with desktop hardware.
The E-series is available in CPU-motherboard combos like this one: ASRock > E350M1/USB3

Another way to get extreme low power consumption is actually to get a laptop, because laptops have CPU voltage modifications and power supplies that allow them to get you even lower power consumption than a desktop at the same price. My laptop with Core i5 2410M idles at less than 10W when the battery is fully charged and it's plugged in. A laptop with an AMD A4 or Core i3 would also outperform the E-350 I posted above. Get some cheap laptop with a USB 3.0 port and attach your 1TB hard drive (assuming the laptop's internal hard drive isn't enough space) with a USB 3.0 external drive enclosure.