View Single Post
Old October 22, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
I feel like I've seen people carry around their OS on a flash drive too, or am I making that up?
I've done that before with Fedora IIRC - it works but it's slow unless you are using a USB 3.0 flash drive that costs as much as the equivalently-sized SSD
Linux will perform better on a half-decent hard drive than on a USB 2.0 drive for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
Question: I just found this SSD for $69 (after a coupon code is entered to get $30 off). Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive)

It's Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB.

Is this a good one for my desktop build? The price is right, and the ratings are pretty darn good. Thoughts?
I have the exact drive in my main computer and I have no problems with it. I found it faster than my old Kingston V-Series Gen 2 drive of the same size. I doubt it's an issue for you but the "3K" means they're using lower-quality NAND rated for 3000 writes instead of 5000 in the not 3K version. Don't expose it to server/heavy workstation loads

You will want to check the firmware on it before installing stuff to it though. Make sure you have the firmware 5.03 or better with the TRIM optimizations.
Kingston HyperX / HyperX 3K 5.03 Firmware Update Released, Benchmarked | Custom PC Review
The firmware upgrade for me (from 5.02 to 5.03) was pretty painless - I actually performed it with an OS already on the drive, although I reinstalled my OS afterwards because I was playing with Windows 8.