Thread: new gaming pc
View Single Post
Old October 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

To put it lightly, you have good intentions, but just about nothing works here.

1) What motherboard is it exactly? Rampage or Maximus? To support the i5 you chose, you will need this: Newegg.ca - ASUS Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard . Also, show us a link to the exact product you are thinking of purchasing, if possible

2)That case is TOO SMALL for the motherboard you are choosing. The case supports Micro-ATX and ATX, but your board is Extended-ATX, meaning it is bigger than ATX. You will either need to get a case that actually supports the Extended-ATX board, or downsize to an ATX-sized motherboard

3)You need to look for Dual-Channel RAM, and I can tell by the size of the Kit you chose that it is not Dual-Channel. You can identify these kits by the fact that the sticks are sold in pairs (2 sticks in a kit). Also, 8GB of RAM is more than enough for any gaming computer

4) Do you plan on getting a hard drive? 480GB is a lot of storage, but it will fill up quicker than you expect it to. I would recommend getting a hard drive so you have extra space for data

5)In my honest opinion, a 1000W Power supply is overkill for a build like this, even if you plan to add another 660 into it. The most I would get is between 750W and 850W. This leaves plenty of room for expansion, future-proofing, and overclocking. Also invest in a modular Power supply. Trust me. I went from Non-Modular to modular, and my case looks so much cleaner without a giant wad of cables not in use at the bottom of it.

Hopefully this helps. Good Luck!