Thread: My New A10 Rig
View Single Post
Old October 16, 2012, 08:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Unhappy Confused in Fort Kent

This is getting a bit of a bother. First my currently working PSU is "scary" and should be retired. Then the one I bought at Staples is not up to snuff. Now the one I buy at our local computer store is "to be avoided". I did check several reviews which say that this is an acceptable "budget" unit.

Thermaltake 750W TR2 RX Power Supply Review Where the website has a warning about other testing sites and asserts "We at OCModShop.com thoroughly test our power supplies... "

plus my google search also returned these reviews.

THERMALTAKE TR2 RX 750W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY REVIEW | THERMALTAKE TR2 RX 750W - TWEAKNEWS - PAGE 6

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750Watt Power Supply Review - Conclusion

I am concerned and confused. Radically different opinions depending on the reviewer. I also have the assertion of the local PC tech selling the unit that it works well for them in their gaming builds. It's not like I don't know this fellow - I take him at his word on this and don't believe it is just a salesman's pitch, besides he had already sold me on the Antec before I came into the store and it was only $10 less.

I expect that he would let me swap out the unit for the Antec 650.

This is the alternate unit Antec.com - Product: EA-650

It is not modular and has a lower amp output, but for my needs is probably more than adequate. Here is the key amp output copied from Newegg details page: +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@22A, +12V3@25A, I read on another forum that "AMD recommends at least 25A on the +12v rail, for the HD6670" so the Antec unit just meets the spec and only on one of the three rails. Is just meeting the spec OK?

Do I return this unit and order something on line or go to the Antec and limit future graphic card capacity to max of 25 amp?