Thread: freedns?
View Single Post
Old October 15, 2012, 06:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Yes you can create sub-directories.

Shared hosting is the most common web hosting available. It's what keeps costs down and makes it affordable for personal accounts. Normally it should not affect your speed. The thing to watch is hosts that are selling tons of space or bandwidth dirt cheap. Neither are "unlimited" and there are often hidden "gotcha's" in the TOS if you start using most of the advertised resources. I have no experieince with either of those two companies but they are both "unlimited" plans which for me is a big red flag.

I don't know how much space/bandwidth you need but I can recommend A Small Orange: Homegrown Hosting . I've been with them for almost 7 years have have never had a serious problem and their support is excellent. If you do like them and decide to go with them you can find discount coupons in some of the signatures (including mine) on their forums.
See, that's the main issue. I have absolutely no idea what kind of bandwidth I would need either. Posting images for a worklog on a website like HWC pretty much leaves bandwidth up to fate... If you get close to 1000 views X 50 or so images @ aprox 3.5 MB for those images, how long does it take to eat up bandwidth? (So long as my math is correct, that's 3.5G bandwidth for just one website) What happens if I post an image that shows a particular clearance or orientation of a product that ends up being linked to from other websites? (It was interesting to see the linkbacks on products like the CM Hyper 212+).

Thus is my concern. I'd like to be able to sign up for a long(er) term contract, but don't want to get it wrong. :)

I will most certainly have a look at your recommendation.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP