View Single Post
Old October 15, 2012, 07:27 AM
Top Prospect

Default Video card choices for 3 or 4 monitors

I am looking for advice on a video card upgrade to my system.

My system has an ASUS P7P55D-E Premium motherboard. To date, I have been very happy with it, excepting that I wish I had gone with an i7 processor instead of the i5. The system currently has 16Gb RAM installed, and is runnig three drives - Intel 240Gb 330 Series to boot, Velociraptor 150Gb and 300Gb drives for applications and data.

I have been running a 24" 1980x1200 monitors and a 19" 1280x1024 monitor from an XFX HD5770 video card. I would like to add a third monitor. The current video card drives two monitors max.

The motherboard has two PCI-e 2.0 X16 slots. Adding a second video card should be very easy. However, when you use both X16 slots, they drop to X8! There are also two PCI slots and two PCI-e X1 slots.

This leaves me with two choices:
1> put another video card in the second slot and live with the slower speed

2> buy a video card that will drive 3 or 4 monitors.

Please note - I do not use this system for gaming. However, it is used for video editing and photo editing with Adobe CS6, along with the normal video viewing, email, web browing, document editing, etc, etc. Therefore, a new video card in the GTX series that supports CUDA would be a good thing, since some of the Adobe applications work with CUDA to accelerate some effects.

My questions:
1> will the drop from X16 to X8 be noticable? Since I don't do gaming, when what types of applications would show the difference?

2> which GTX 560/570/650/66/etc cards support more than two monitors? For some reason, doing searches for this information does not provide much clear information, on NCIX, using Google, etc.

Thanks in advance!!