View Single Post
Old October 11, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Ripping DVDs and Set top Box

Co-worker in the office asked a little advice of me, but since I'm not a settop box nor a DVD guy, I don't know all the answers:

Two part Question:

1) What is a good set-top box to recommend? She'd like to physically plug in an external harddrive. Network capability (wireless) would be an asset.

2) What is the easiest way for her (not computer saavy) to rip DVDs and store them on her external harddrive? Some DVDs (like movies) would just need the movie itself ripped. Other DVDs (like an interactive YOGA DVD) would need all the menus and 'extras' of the DVD to remain intact.

Cost is a factor. She's willing to spend a little money, but doesn't want to spend an obscene amount.

What about the ASUS OPLAY? I'm not sure if it will recognize full DVD formats...

Edit #2: She added she may want to surf the web and stream sports channels...what about the Zotac Zbox? It's a little more expensive, but it's got full HTPC capability..

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; October 11, 2012 at 09:29 AM.