View Single Post
Old October 6, 2012, 05:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Originally Posted by m0pelley99 View Post
Cougar Vortex 140MM Hydro Dynamic Bearing Fan 1200RPM (two of these to replace the noisy K62WB fans)
Zalman Fan Mate 2 3-PIN Fan Speed Controller (to make the new front fan more quiet, while still maintaining negative air pressure)
I have 2 of those Cougar fans in my Lancool PC-K62, and I don't find them much quieter than the stock fans. I have my fans set to undervolt to 9.0V (linear regulator) and the noise is still quite noticeable. I'd try a lower voltage but I've installed such a loud CPU fan it wouldn't matter

You'd have to ask someone who's played with many more 140mm fans than me to find something better though.

Originally Posted by m0pelley99 View Post
Here's the list of parts I purchased for my HTPC:
Gigabyte H77N-WIFI
Intel Core i3 2120
Antec Kuhler H2O 620
Scythe KAZE-JYUNI Slip Stream Slim 120MM 12MM Cooling Fan 2000RPM (two of these for a push-pull config for the Kuhler 620)
Lian Li PC-Q08R
Seasonic SS-350ET
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2X2GB DDR3-1600 (from my desktop)
Samsung SH-222BB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Intel 520 120GB

I think I might upgrade my video card next. What are the chances of a 350W Seasonic PSU handling a Core i3 and a GTX 280?
Sealed liquid cooler on a 65W CPU that can't overclock because of the choice of H77 motherboard? I like the way you think
You may want to compare price/performance vs an AMD A-series at that price point, especially if you're actually using as an HTPC which would make the GPU part a lot busier than the CPU part.

A 350W PSU doesn't have a chance at powering a GTX 280 (properly):,5.html
With ~230W on the GPU + ~60W on everything else that gets you to 290W, which will probably cause one of the rails to go into overcurrent protection.
"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]