View Single Post
Old October 6, 2012, 05:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0pelley99 View Post
Cougar Vortex 140MM Hydro Dynamic Bearing Fan 1200RPM (two of these to replace the noisy K62WB fans)
Zalman Fan Mate 2 3-PIN Fan Speed Controller (to make the new front fan more quiet, while still maintaining negative air pressure)
I have 2 of those Cougar fans in my Lancool PC-K62, and I don't find them much quieter than the stock fans. I have my fans set to undervolt to 9.0V (linear regulator) and the noise is still quite noticeable. I'd try a lower voltage but I've installed such a loud CPU fan it wouldn't matter

You'd have to ask someone who's played with many more 140mm fans than me to find something better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0pelley99 View Post
Here's the list of parts I purchased for my HTPC:
Gigabyte H77N-WIFI
Intel Core i3 2120
Antec Kuhler H2O 620
Scythe KAZE-JYUNI Slip Stream Slim 120MM 12MM Cooling Fan 2000RPM (two of these for a push-pull config for the Kuhler 620)
Lian Li PC-Q08R
Seasonic SS-350ET
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2X2GB DDR3-1600 (from my desktop)
Samsung SH-222BB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Intel 520 120GB

(...)

I think I might upgrade my video card next. What are the chances of a 350W Seasonic PSU handling a Core i3 and a GTX 280?
Sealed liquid cooler on a 65W CPU that can't overclock because of the choice of H77 motherboard? I like the way you think
You may want to compare price/performance vs an AMD A-series at that price point, especially if you're actually using as an HTPC which would make the GPU part a lot busier than the CPU part.

A 350W PSU doesn't have a chance at powering a GTX 280 (properly):
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...ew_test,5.html
With ~230W on the GPU + ~60W on everything else that gets you to 290W, which will probably cause one of the rails to go into overcurrent protection.