View Single Post
Old October 5, 2012, 10:51 PM
Allstar

Metro is undeniably a touch-driven interface. If you think it's bad now...you should have seen the initial developer preview. ;) The best option by far is to try Win8 as a dual-boot; the second-best option is to try it in a VM. You've been warned: the VM experience was significantly different than the dual-boot experience in pre-RTM builds. I haven't bothered trying RTM in a VM yet and don't plan to.

My personal 'feature' in Metro-apps? the cloud-integration that forms the backbone of the Metro-ecosystem. I love to tinker with optimizing my software-builds and this involves reinstalling Windows from scratch (I tinker for fun and am more than a little bit OCD - I'm definitely not the standard usecase). Ideally, cloud-centric apps would allow me to flawlessly save and 'restore' data.

This isn't related to your question, but I've been toying around with the idea that Win8 with a specialized touch-screen monitor might be BETTER for new computer users. Think about the number of people 'afraid' to use a PC relative to the number of people afraid to use an iPad. The former group (think grandma on her type-writer) is VASTLY larger than the latter group. Windows 8 seems not to be an 'customer-retention'-focused OS, but rather a market-expansion push.