View Single Post
Old October 5, 2012, 07:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Well isnt the key thing with having a server core/thread preformance? why wouldnt you run a low end Athlon II / phenom II X4/Core i5 - phenom II X6/Core i7 then? Maybe im just thinking of things in a larger business type of sceme ... kinda like my bud scratching his head going wtf are ya thinking when his former employer a accounting firm he did accounting & pc support-adviser at invested in a new dual socket server but only populated 1 socket with a cpu.
Would an i3 not be "good enough" while using less power for a machine that is on all the time? All I'm saying is if you look at just performance sure there are a lot of things that are good enough... It could be argued that good enough happened a while ago and everyone is now wasting their time with performance. I am sure this exact same conversation has come up in the past, hell my P4 1.8 was good enough when I bought it but it isn't any more.

At the end of the day, you pick up the best product in your price range because you don't know what is coming down the line. What is good enough today might not be good enough tomorrow. I can tell you this my AMD Athlon II x2 in my laptop is no longer good enough and I wish I had picked up a first Gen i3 because my girlfriends first gen i3 laptop is still good enough for what I would use it for.