View Single Post
Old October 5, 2012, 06:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow such a heated debate.

I may be wrong, but most agree, but still camp their ground.

Most of us want AMD to perform better and want to encourage competition. For some (most of us I guess), the current situation is such that AMD is not a worthwhile option. But bear in mind, HWC does not represent the average Joe and its normal for most of HWCers to prefer Intel over AMD granted how things are currently.

Depending on our needs and priorities, Intel may (usually is) the way to go simply because AMD failed to improve enough. If Bulldozer was a - more - decent improvement over Phenom II (but still behind Intel) I'm quite sure more of us would go for it. But the fact is that we know that for the most part, if you go for Bulldozer, you choose to buy something that is the equivalent of a few years old processor. That doesn't compute with enthusiast, which is why here Intel is the way to go.

I do not consider myself as a real fanboi, but if I had to chose between 2 similar processors and everything was equal, but the small guy was a little underperforming, I'd go for the little guy (granted there was some sort of advantage for my wallet). But as it is now, I'd choose Intel because of how I know I use my computer.

Back to the point, for average Joe, I don't think it matters much. A few months ago, my cousin asked me for a suggestion for a cheap laptop to do basic office, web browsing stuff and that would be plugged most of the time. All I told her is not to get Atom, C-series or Zacate, but anything else would do fine for her needs independently of the price. I don't think she complained at all, because that is what the average Joe needs: something cheap that works. The rest is not important.