View Single Post
Old October 4, 2012, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Hopefully, their next APU will start to turn things around, but meh I wont hold my breath. Wake me up when I can get TRIM on RAID'ed SSDs and then I might get excited about their gear again.
I'm not sure in what situation you would have RAID'ed SSDs when running an APU. I mean, an APU is typically speaking a budget application, whereas an SSD RAID array is usually big money. If you can afford one of those, you're probably not even going to be considering an AMD APU. And at this point, any HTPC/server that would use a RAID array these days (combined with an AMD APU) would probably be using RAID HDD anyways...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Anyways, yeah, I agree AMD has a long way to go with their processors. But I'll still be rooting for them as an underdog. And supporting them, too. I'm one of those guys who will probably still buy and support AMD, at least for the next couple of generations (although if Steamroller still doesn't improve upon Phenom II, then I'm switching!)

And, nobody is saying that Intel products aren't better in every conceivable and measurable way. But, for the low end (web surfing, word document writing, minecraft playing machines), AMD is actually a pretty good choice. You can't just look at the price of the processor itself, but at the platform as a whole. AMD motherboards are typically a few bucks cheaper than the equivalent Intel variant.

And yes, upgradeability is a huge factor. Okay, the FM1 to FM2 socket change was unfortunate. And I'm actually quite peeved at that seeing as I just picked up a 1st gen APU. But I'm guessing the reason for the change was that the technology is still maturing and they probably made some major changes to the chipset. I'm fairly confident that the 3rd generation of APUs will be FM2 compatible. Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to buy a $100 chip, throw it into your existing system, and have a 15-25% boost in performance?

Anyways, you fellows are all entitled to buy whatever products and support whatever companies you wish. If you want to support AMD for whatever misguided reason (like me) then so be it. If you want to support Intel, all the power to you!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;