View Single Post
Old October 4, 2012, 05:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default UPS not charging

i have an apc back-UPS xs 1500 ups and i noticed today that the battery indicator is empty/flashing. i cycled through the displays and its reading 0 minutes of battery backup time as well. a bit of google indicates that the battery is shot and most of the posts recommend 'taking it to a service center'. im pretty much positive this thing is way out of warranty, and i live out in the middle of nowhere (not likely near a service center). the other display functions are still working (input/output/load etc). windows reports that "This device is working properly." in its properties panel as well.

so two questions:

-im not too concerned about battery backup time. i got this for line conditioning in an old crappy apartment i lived in with shaky power. with an apparently dead battery, this thing isnt really doing anything in terms of conditioning right now is it?

-is there any risk in continuing to use it like this? its not hot or anything, but its got my new computer plugged into it and its not working right...kind of making me wonder if i should just use a regular power bar for now until i can replace it or fix it.

thanks for any input