View Single Post
Old October 3, 2012, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Get OCing motherboard for 2500K or spend on GPU?

Hi all, (hmm we need a dedicated "bottlenecks" section or something for cross-CPU/GPU posting)

Update: I used to not have a stable OC on this board at all, but today (Oct 6 2012) I pointed a 40mm fan straight at the set of 3 power phases directly to the left of the CPU + I'm using a downdraft cooler (GeminII). I haven't had any problems so far at 3.9 GHz, so 3.8 GHz is definitely doable. I assume a Core i5 2500k @ 3.8 GHz won't bottleneck any GPU for any game that isn't bugged, right?

I'd like to spend ~$330-400 before taxes on upgrades for gaming (namely Guild Wars 2 now and Borderlands 2 later on), but I'd like to know if I should:
  1. Dump it all on a GPU and wait for Haswell / Steamroller / my motherboard to go up in smoke?
  2. Get an OCing motherboard for my current i5 2500k and a lesser GPU?
Now that I can overclock to 3.9 GHz (although it's not pleasurable to my ears ), I assume the best option would be just to stay at 3.8-3.9GHz on the CPU and grab a new GPU to replace my 550Ti which bottlenecks just about everything at 1080p? I'm referring to my "My System Specs" computer.

"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]

Last edited by frontier204; October 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM.