View Single Post
Old October 3, 2012, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Get OCing motherboard for 2500K or spend on GPU?

Hi all, (hmm we need a dedicated "bottlenecks" section or something for cross-CPU/GPU posting)

Update: I used to not have a stable OC on this board at all, but today (Oct 6 2012) I pointed a 40mm fan straight at the set of 3 power phases directly to the left of the CPU + I'm using a downdraft cooler (GeminII). I haven't had any problems so far at 3.9 GHz, so 3.8 GHz is definitely doable. I assume a Core i5 2500k @ 3.8 GHz won't bottleneck any GPU for any game that isn't bugged, right?

I'd like to spend ~$330-400 before taxes on upgrades for gaming (namely Guild Wars 2 now and Borderlands 2 later on), but I'd like to know if I should:
  1. Dump it all on a GPU and wait for Haswell / Steamroller / my motherboard to go up in smoke?
  2. Get an OCing motherboard for my current i5 2500k and a lesser GPU?
Now that I can overclock to 3.9 GHz (although it's not pleasurable to my ears ), I assume the best option would be just to stay at 3.8-3.9GHz on the CPU and grab a new GPU to replace my 550Ti which bottlenecks just about everything at 1080p? I'm referring to my "My System Specs" computer.

Thanks!

Last edited by frontier204; October 6, 2012 at 01:18 PM.