View Single Post
Old September 23, 2012, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post

With the AMD platform, you MUST overclock it to get anywhere near the Intel, although you do have the upgrade path to the new CPUs. With the Intel platform I suggested, you CANNOT overclock it (hence the lack of cooling) and the upgrade path is uncertain, but it will get you better performance than the AMD unless you go absolutely nuts with the cooling. (Personally I'd go Intel just for the massive out-of-the-box performance advantage compared to AMD.)
I'm going to second the AMD build. It'll have more than enough performance for your needs, and it will save you a bunch of money. You're not looking for the best frames in all the best games, you're looking for something cheap that will run AutoCAD and do schoolwork. Having an i5 will just be overkill, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you can afford it.

And for the record, when I was at school, I ran AutoCAD 2004 on an old Athlon dual core laptop, and it ran just fine! A quad core phenom is miles ahead of an old athlon processor.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;