View Single Post
Old September 23, 2012, 07:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Student's Budget PC

I just want to say Thank-You in advance for any advice which you give me in terms of building a new budget PC. I am a college student in need of a new computer because I have "rented" out my main PC to my folks back home in BC, while I now attend college in Ontario.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

I will be performing two main tasks on my computer. Number one is school work. I will be using Autocad Map 2012, ESRI ArcGIS 10, as well as Adobe Illustrator rather frequently.

I will also be playing games, such as Guild Wars 2 and World of Warcraft, and a few others, but those are the main two. The resolution I am using is 1920x1080

2. What YOUR
budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

I am really hoping for the cheaper the better. Lets say around $800 or less (less is always good, I still want to be able to afford food ) but im willing to flex about another $100 if it is really worth it.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

What ever gives me the best bang for my dollar.

5. If YOU intend on
using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I have a keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitor already.

6. IF YOU have
searched and/or read similar threads.

I have been reading about the performance of many parts that would be around my budget, but I have not had the time or recent knowlege to come up to my own final conclusions on what I want/need.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

I do not plan on overclocking immediatly, I do have experience overclocking and may do so in the future but it is low on my priorities list.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Any time in the next month, basically i just need to decide on what I need.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?

Resulution is 1920x1080 and I would like to have the settings as high as possible of course.
10. Are there any specific technologies you want?

There is nothing specific that I require, if I can get any bells and whistles for little money then sure but I just need basic performance.