View Single Post
Old September 23, 2012, 03:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by velias View Post
This isn't quite true. All 670 / 680 cards can reach 1.21V out of the box, it is just not advertised. I have actually used quite a few GTX 680 cards that reached 1.21V per DMM out of the box, yet software reports 1175mV.

I reiterate again that you cannot go past 1.21V or 1.175V without a hardware modification, period. It is just not possible on the asus card. You can reach 1.21V and software may or may not report it, but the only way to guarantee a higher voltage is by getting the MSI card.

I have read a thread over at OCN with people making a big deal about how their cards are supposedly "overvolted" when they only reach 1.21V. 1.21V is possible out of the box with no modifications. So what? If you want to guarantee a higher voltage you go buy the MSI card.

The last thing to note is that software doesn't always report proper voltage. In fact, it rarely does. The only way to properly measure voltage on the kepler is with a digital multimeter, period end of story. Case in point, my lightnings report 1175mV in software while (on the LN2 BIOS) they are using 1.26V with no software overvoltage. Bottom line is don't take any software reported voltage seriously, DMM is the only method to get a proper reading with kepler cards, period.

I'll help you out a bit. Per extensive testing yes the cards do 1.21 out of the box from a DMM. But with the BIOS mod they do 1.21 software, 1.265 on the DMM. And pushing 680's farther than 1.21 on software the consistency remains the same for .055 average as the difference between the software and hardware readings. Through a memory editor you can confirm this yourself as I have done it very thoroughly. You can take a ASUS card with the Lightning BIOS that now does 1.212 software and 1.26 hardware to even higher with the memory editor. So yes you are right they do 1.21 out of the box, but it is still 1.175 as the cap displayed in software. There is no play in it from what I have tested on a few cards. When the software says the voltage reading, the hardware reading is .055 above it on average. Can be .045 all the way to .06 but the gap range is constant.