View Single Post
Old September 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
MVP

Good input Soul. I appreciate it. I think I'll have to try it and see. When I get a chance to slap it all together and get a few temp sensors I'll run some tests with various setups. I'm no scientist, nor do I have any great understanding of physics, chemistry or thermodynamics. What goes up must come down, rocks are hard and vinegar hurts in my eyes. Thats my understanding of the universe.

The reason I am inspired by the salt is due to the mythbusters beer cooling episode. It works amazingly well for cooling beer to ice cold in just mere minutes so I'd like to see what it can do in cooling a rad, the water or whatever.

Seriously if you are ever in need of an ice cold beer and all you have is piss warm beer and a few ice cubes grab a container, some salt and cover the can with just enough water, add the ice and fire in a whack of salt. Freezing cold beer in less than 5 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
You're not. Initially the temps on the rad would be awesome, and equal to air. Eventually the mineral oil would 'absorb' all the heat. The air bubbles would never be as efficient at moving the heat from one medium to another (Rad, to air, to oil, to air), then good fans blowing over the rad in a all air environment.

If you just think about the mineral oil as a giant radiator you still need to remove heat in some way, as ST said. Simply put, since air flow is still your medium for heat transfer (and very slightly the top of the oil next to cool air) you're better off just using 120mm fans in an air environment. Larger surface areas equals a quicker (or easier) Delta T change. This is why rads have so many fins, to increase surface area.
lets remove mineral oil from the equation as I have no clue how to alter it or experiment with it. I'll use water initially and go from there.

Last edited by Soultribunal; September 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM.