View Single Post
Old September 15, 2012, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baumann View Post
I would argue that reviews are there not just to give people an understanding of relative performane on games right now, but also give you an indication whether they are going to be good for the future as well (at least that is the axiom that I took to reviewing). Yes, the relative performance differencences on Showdown currently only represents Showdown, but the question is whether the redendering techniques and features of Showdown may be present on titles in the future.

The most strenouous element of Showdown is the Global Illumination lighting - Global Illumination has for a long time been something that many developers have been striving to put in to realtime rendering, and here is a game that is delivering it already. Are future titles going to be looking at GI? Fo sure, in fact GI is integral to the UE4 Engine so any game licensing that engine in the future is going to have access to a GI path integrated in the engine.
Well the problem with doing things with the future in mind is that we can't tell the future, things can always change. There are so many things (especially in the technology world) that were seen as the next awesome thing everyone needs to have and they have never taken off. For that reason I would stick to the here and now as the focus of my reviews. It is good to know that if I hear of this technology taking off that the next card I should buy an AMD card however right now it's pretty much irrelevant.

Do you have a list of games that the redendering techniques and features of Showdown will be used in, in the next year or two? If yes and you have some major titles I would say you have a case. If not I would argue that the here and now is much better than speculation in the future.