View Single Post
Old September 14, 2012, 10:59 PM
Rookie

Default Corsair HX and AX PSU Information and Misinformation . . . Please Help . . .

Corsair AX850 or HX850? . . .

I am putting together a system and have been scouring the net for advice on which PSU line to choose. While I have learned that the AX series is fully modular and the HX is partially modular . . . 2011 posts suggest the HX series is newer than the AX series and perhaps slightly more "stable" . . . while other posts suggest the AX is the more stable and more quiet . . . some of these 2011 posts suggest the AX series is dated and "about to be updated" (has it been since these 2011 posts--I see there is now an AX1200i Platinum--is this the begining of the discussed AX series update change?) . . . while other posts discuss "popping" sounds(??) in their AX850s. Pictures of some AX850s show green in their labels while others gold (like in the current Conair site pics).

All of this variation has me wondering what is current info and what is not. I am new to building and would deeply appreciate hearing which PSU would deliver the most quiet, dependable power for my system. The full modularity of the AX seems like a desireable thing in that, should the PSU fail and need to be returned, I could simply pull the cords and not need to undo wiring to replace . . . but maybe this is not realistic (i.e. I should replace any wiring anyway?)?

The system I would like to build consists of:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Extreme
System Cooling: Sealed Liquid Cooling System (Still contemplating . . . likely Corsair's)
Processors: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz/3.9GHz Turbo LGA 1155 Quad-Core Processor (8MB L3 Cache)
Graphic Cards: Single 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GTX 680
Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600Mhz (4x 4GB) Memory
Operating System: MS Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Edition
Hard Drive One: 240GB Intel 520 Series - Solid State Drive
Hard Drive Two: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 6.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache HDD
Optical Drive One: 14X Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner
Media Card Reader: 40-in-1 Media Card Reader

Power Supply: Corsair AX850 or HX850 . . . or maybe if going with HX series, for a few dollars more the 1050 Watt Corsair HX1050 PSU. (I plan on SLI'ing another GTX680, adding 2 more HDs in addition to case's current HD hot swap dock and a few other minor pieces within the next 6 mos).

Don't know if significant , but I am a pilot and will be running flight simulator program, video editing and general multi-monitor work.

Thanks--I really appreciate the help.

Last edited by Questtt3; September 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM.