View Single Post
Old September 8, 2012, 04:04 AM
Rookie

Default Corsair Obsidian 650D or 550D Case . . . All the benefits but silent?

I was all set to pull the trigger on a Corsair 650D case when I saw the review here about the 550D . . . I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

I am building a system to use for flight simulator (I'm a pilot) and some family HD video editing (for now, single 2GB Nvidia GTX 680 graphics card and sealed liquid cooler, ASUS Maximus V Extreme MOB) . . . but most of the time the computer will be sitting on my desk where I can spend 6-10 hours/day doing intensive research and writing. It is amazing how peaceful it can be (a relief) when I turn my computer off . . . kind of surprising how subconsciously mentally fatiguing/distracting computer noise can be.

With this in mind, the 550D sounds like it might be a good case to go with, but what would I be giving up by not going with the 650D? Does the 550D possess all the benefits of the 650D but with option to run silent . . . or does the 550D lack some of the benefits of the 650D (less upgradeable? Poorer airflow even with panels removed? Etc.?). Addionally, was also wondering if hinged door restricts some options . . . for example . . . I was thinking about adding a Lamptron FC5 V2 fan controller when considering the 650D, but don't know if this would be possible on the 550D with the hinged door panel (knobs might be in the way).

I would be most grateful for advice on this. Thank you very much.