Thread: Ram Timings
View Single Post
Old August 30, 2012, 06:33 PM
Top Prospect

I was curious about the OP's question, too.

I think I might have insufficient RAM for what I do but not sure. I often have several tabs open in Firefox and I notice Firefox uses up 30+ %.

Overall RAM usage often goes to 3.6 out of the 4GB available. It's DDR2, PC2-6400 @ 1.8V.

I figured out that the timing (according to an old newegg page, it's 5-4-4-12) in the BIOS is set for:

5-5-5-15.

The full numbers shown are: 5-5-5-15-3-52-6-3

I have no idea what the rest of the numbers are but it seems 5-5-5-15 is pretty common for DDR2 RAM.

My question is, if I wanted to max out my board at 8GB of RAM, how should I do it? I could add 4GB but I can't find this same RAM anymore unless I was lucky enough to find it, used. I could add memory that uses a similar timing although I couldn't find any that use the neat heat spreaders. The name brands that do are 5-5-5-18 so they might not be as compatible?

If I get RAM with 5-5-5-15 default timings, that might be my best bet? I'm not sure whether 5-5-5-18 would work since I'd have to change the timings, right?

Yes, I'd like to retire this computer or give it to my Mom (or something) and get a brand spankin' new ivy bridge system with DDR3 RAM but financial constraints mean I'm looking at minor upgrades to optimize this ancient thing. Otherwise, I'd probably save up for a laptop. I need a new one of those, too. :-/

I hope the OP doesn't mind me posting a follow-up message. :) I thought these questions might be interesting (based on answers!).

Anyway, I thought I'd test the current memory with Memtest86+. 'See what comes up.