View Single Post
Old August 25, 2012, 12:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
This isn't really the point.

A company has a right (indeed a responsibility) to know what is installed on its own machines. To a certain extent also machines which connect to their network.

Now if a machine is undergoing troubleshooting or management remotely, it is presumably with the consent of the owner.

The point is, that for the average user this is a gross intrusion to have enabled by default. It should disabled by default and be one of the things the installer ASKS (and discloses what it does) the user if they want enabled.

I personally, and our firm, already had no intentions of going with Windows 8 except perhaps one machine for testing purposes. This just reinforces them.

The move to SSL3 with use of TLS1.1 or 1.2 is a definite move in the right direction as it doesn't suffer from the vulnerabilities that TLS1.0 has had for many years.

(The argument "if you have nothing to hide.." is so old and full of holes it isn't worth mentioning and I'm actually surprised anyone here trotted it out.)
Exactly, I have nothing to hide either, but if anybody wants to invade my privacy there had better be a good reason and judicial oversight unless there is the perception of an immediate threat to somebody's life.

This is especially important when it comes to information that physically resides in the US. Given the current US policy of demand information now ask permission later, what's to stop them from demanding application specific information in order to further a DCMA investigation?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP