View Single Post
Old August 21, 2012, 03:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
So here's my opinion on it. Take it for what it's worth.

I just want my phones to work. iPhone does that for me. It's easy to use, and has never caused me problems aside from general wear and tear.

I understand both sides of the argument, and am not an Apple fan boy by any means, nor am I an Android hater. That being said, I find that for myself, a lot of what Apple does with regards to their tech makes sense. You can argue the whole user should be able to do what they want with their hardware, but at the same time, you can argue that the experience should be controlled by the developer. Both make sense to me, and I understand the gripes that people have with both.

Yes, the 4/4S is technologically inferior to say, a new flagship phone such as the new S3, yet when I compare my original iPhone 4 to other newer phones out there (read: Android) I can't help but get the feeling that mine, despite being older, and technologically inferior, works better. I bought my 4 on release day something like 2 years ago. It still works as solidly as the day I bought it.

I've played with my cousin's Galaxy Note, and their other Android phones and I don't know. It just feels...not quite optimized? Maybe that's the benefit of Apple being able to optimize their OS with their hardware? I don't know. I will say though that Apple could learn a couple things from Android, but who needs more lawsuits lol.

That being said, if you want to play with your phone like you do with your PC (not at all surprising considering the forums here) then Android is probably the way to go. I for one, don't want to do that. That's what my PC is for. I don't want to root my phone to get it the way I want it. I suppose you could always jailbreak your phone.

Also have to consider that my family is tied to the iPhone and other Apple products like Apple TV, iPad etc. So in some ways switching ecosystems is a costly endeavour.

People will always crap on Apple products because in their eyes they are overpriced, and limit what they perceive to be the user experience. You can make the choice for yourself, but what shouldn't be the deciding factor is a sense of technological elitism. Is it such a bad thing that my 72 year old dad can make full use of his iPad, and absolutely love it, because he understands how it works? I can't even believe that is an argument against Apple. Make an informed choice, just don't be a snob about it (goes both ways for Apple/Android products).
Seriously, thank you. I would never buy a mac for various reasons but all I really want my phone to do is make calls, email, messaging, browser, and a handful of apps. I also generally keep my phones until they die. I'm over 3 years on my 3gs and I'm still getting software updates.

A big bonus is that the integration with the iphone in my car is just light years ahead of any android integration available. None of the major car audio companies support android to any great extent.