View Single Post
Old August 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
Rookie

Default Your advice for this Guild Wars 2 build please.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
- Primary use: mmo's like Guild Wars 2 but also I would like to run games like Skyrim, the upcoming Assassin's Creed 3 and the likes. I don't play fps games. I am concerned at having a good framerate for GW2 mass pvp (WvW) though.

- I would also like to add a second monitor for web/forum browsing while I play my games but this can wait for later this fall.

2. What YOUR budget is.
- 1000$can before shipping and taxes, of course lower is better.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
- Canada, both online and city store to save shipping if possible.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
- I always had Intel computers but I am open to try anything, as long as it's solid.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
- I already have a gaming mouse and keyboard, new speakers/sub woofer and I will reuse my LG dvd reader/burner, my soundcard (soundblaster) and my Samsung 19'' wide monitor (max 1440X900)

- I need Window 7 64bits OS, home premium probably?

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-yes for a full week and I am very confused because there are so many choices! I am mainly concerned about compatibility and if my build would last a good 4 years. I checked many benchmark graphics and it helped me figure out the basics.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-I have absolutly zero experience with overclocking and to be honest it's scaring me! I would like lets say a mild to medium, safe overclocking IF the games I am interested in ask for it. I would like to stay away from water cooling though.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
- Like now? My build need to be set up and running by August 25th :) I checked many video guides DIY and I am confident I can do this.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
- It is for mainly gaming and I would like to run at max graphics with AA on and no lag in pvp. I sincerely forget what resolution I was playing in GW2 beta weekends but it was around 1280Xsomething I think.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-
SSD! USB 3.0, SATA3because I want to be open for future upgrades and technology.

So here is what I came up with after reading posts and reviews:CPU: i5 3570k (because I want USB 3.0, lower voltage etc. and some overclocking)
Microbytes, 222.41$ (no shipping needed)
MoBo: MSI Z77a-G45 but would Asus be better?
Tigerdirect, 125$ after rebate
GPU: GTX 570 even if it's probably overkill for the games I play, I want it to last years.
NCiX, 230$ after rebate
PSU: 80+, modular like Seasonic M12II 620W
Microbytes, 109$ (no shipping needed)
Hard Drive: SATA3 1.0TB SEAGATE 7200.12 64M ST1000DM003Microbytes, 90$(no shipping needed)
SSD:
Adata sata3 they seem to have awesome reviews, 120GB seems enough for my OS and main game
NCIX, 80$ after rebate
RAM: Vision Tek 2X4GB (any brand I don't care much)
tiger direct, 46$
Case: can't make up my mind here, too many, IN WIN Dragon Rider Full Tower has great reviews? I want a case that will last for even my next build in 4 years.
NCIX, 140$

That puts me around 1043$ so 43$ over my budget without the OS. And I don't even have a heatsink yet (I forgot to research them, are they an absolute must have?)

Any suggestion on what is overkill and where I could go cheaper to save money? Like maybe on the case but this one has awesome review and I want something with all the features the dragon rider offers (I don't care at all for the look by the way). Should I go cheaper on the GPU? Maybe switch to AMD? Or is this a good build and I should really get it?

Thank you for you time! :) <3