View Single Post
Old August 13, 2012, 10:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

dual channel is for motherboards/processors that use dual channel, quad channel for motherboards/processors that can use them.,

AMD AM3/AM3+ uses dual channel memory being 2 sticks form 1 channel so in total 4 sticks over 2 channels
Intel can use Dual channel, Tri-Channel, Quad channel depending on its motherboard being used.

In some things like crunching movies, decoding software, and even some games, haveing more memory i.e 8gb instead of 4 gb can make a difference. Other times the speed/latency of the memory ddr3 1600 cl9 timings vs ddr3 1333 cl8 timings makes a pretty large difference, and with game it CAN make a difference being in dual/tri/quad channel mode but often its the speed of the memory and the latency of the memory that makes the difference, the channels not as much as either A) they are not being saturated B) are poorly optimized to take advatage of the speed given to them.

Generally speaking, first gen i7 cpu such as i7 950 can use Tri channel memory, from pure performance wise it was beneficial to have them use it in tri channel mode as in 3 sticks of memory at say 2gb a stick so 6gb total or 12gb total, it did show in games, this was partially due to "limited" ability for the IMC to truly take advantage of the sticks, it could and did bottleneck its memory controller sometimes

AMD with thier AM3 chips such as a 955 only used dual channel memory, but because of the way they were built they easily and happily deal with the information being thrown into thier memory contoller and can take pretty good advantage overall if the IMC is sped up, what they rely on is enough capacity, not channels, as per channel its quite fast, though lack of capacity can really hurt performance. 4gb to 8gb many of my freinds can tell you it gained them from 3-15fps average, and they are using like 2-6% of that memory :P

Now you have somehting like Intel 2500k which is a very fast chip, uses dual channel, and has a fast memory controller on top of it, overclock it, declock it, its still going to do what it needs to quite well.