View Single Post
Old August 7, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Refused to use Facebook app on phone due to excessive permissions - tinfoil hat?

Hi all,

I am using an Android 4.0 phone, an HTC One V as discussed in the earlier thread: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ne-august.html

I noticed one of the permissions on the Facebook app is the following, and refuse to use it for that reason:
Quote:
Phone calls read phone state and identity
  • Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. An app with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like.
[src]

The app is already installed on my phone as a "system app", but I did not associate my Facebook account with it as I like to keep "barriers" between my accounts. One such barrier is that I don't want my phone calls and phone numbers being sent to Facebook. With access to my IMEI and the ability to read numbers the phone is connected to, it wouldn't be hard for them to construct a log of my phone activity.

I know I've surrendered my phone's info to Google already (Android phone + Google account = tracking bug), but I am keeping my links to Facebook as few as possible because of Facebook's much higher tendency to "leak" personal information without you confirming it.

What do you think of my attempt to keep Facebook from getting info from me? Should I continue to avoid the Facebook apps or am I already in too deep to care?