View Single Post
Old August 4, 2012, 07:26 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM - Ottawa View Post
So if I want to get the Phoebus and be able to utilize the potential better than with pc350's, what headset would be a good choice, and how much would I need to spend on said headset? I am looking at getting a new card and headset combo, and am interested in knowing what headsets would better do the card justice, hopefully within the $300 headset range. I would rank music quality and great bass sounding as priority over having a microphone in this case. Looking for suggestions, thanks!
Hmm interesting question. 3 bills opens up a LOT of potential. I like the way you think. But would probably stick to 2 bills or under. UNTIL you know what you like or dont like :)

Full disclosure...its been awhile as I found a couple cans I like and have NOT kept up on the latest trends. Jackie is more a 'can man' than me. I would drop him a PM and see what he says as well. BUT off the top of my head:

(IIRC these are all in the 1-2 bill range)
Beyerdynamic DT 860
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (not as much bass...but good cans none the less)
Ultrasone HFI-2400
Ultrasone HFI-780 (same drivers as the 24's but closed...so more bass BUT less detail)
beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (classic...what can I say)

Dark horses that are more $$$:
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
AKG 550
Ultrasone Pro 900 (basshead dream...but above your 3bill range)

IIRC all these are under or CLOSE to 3 bills. ALL are different. All are pretty damn good. First pick would probably be the DT 860s. I would probably stay away from the 600 ohmers as while the soundcard does technically handle 600 ohms....Its not as good as a real amp needed to power high end cans. ;)

These are all stereo cans. Silk's recommendation on 7.1 analogs is good. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr