View Single Post
Old June 26, 2008, 08:30 AM
Top Prospect

Price match with Direct Canada prices. Since it's a sister company, they almost always accept it.

I don't think a quad core will give you much better gaming experience. A good dual core like the C2D E8400 with the Wolfdale core is a really good choice and is only 187$ on Direct Canada (Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail - DirectCanada).

For cpu cooler, the Freezer 7 pro is a good choice. I have the same but the AMD version and it works really cool and silent.

For the motherboard, I've heard that the Gigabyte boards based on intel chipsets offer better price/function/quality ratio than many others. You could take a look for reviews about some of their boards and compare with the one you chose.

For the video card, I've heard that the after market coolers made for the 38XX could fit on them. You may take a look on cooler manufacturers to look if they add 48XX compatibility on the specs of their products.

I'm not a big fan of antec products (my own opinion). Ok for the case since you could not really get issues but for the PSU ... maybe you could take a look to corsair PSU's, there is this one (Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - DirectCanada) wich is really affordable or you could get this one (Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 120MM Fan 2X PCI-E - DirectCanada) wich is modular and really worth his price. If you don't plan to upgrade soon for a much more big system (Quad + Crossfire for exemple), something a bit more conservative could be enough too like this one (Silverstone Strider ST50F 500W ATX12V 24PIN Power Supply W/120MM Fan Active PFC - DirectCanada) wich is the one I have. It is well reviewed and I'm completely satisfied.

You could also take your order on Direct Canada. I know there's many threads about DC problems, but if you call your credit card company BEFORE taking the order (don't use Paypal, it's not working), you may have your stock rapidly for free shipping. And if you got problems, you can send a private message to DC_Support from this forum and he will help you within 1 business day. I've ordered there many times and had only one issue and DC_Support helped me well.

Don't forget that with 4GB of ram, you will need a 64Bit OS or only 3.25 GB will be recognised. And if you plan to run Xp, I think 2GB could be enough. I have 2 GB and never had problems.

Have fun with your new system.

EDIT : the tx650w proposed by jdrom17 is a good choice too. I've not see it before posting .

AthlonX2 4600+ @ 3.0Ghz (tweaked by Ebdoradz) | Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 | 2x1GB Mushkin HP PC2-6400 @ 860Mhz | Silverstone Strider 500W PSU | Palit Radeon HD 3850 @ 720Mhz/1.76Ghz on 22" Acer X223w monitor | Thermaltake SopranoRS 101 | 1 x Seagate 250GB