View Single Post
Old July 25, 2012, 05:31 PM
Rookie

Default Looking for somebody to check my first build

Hi! So I'm getting ready to build my first PC myself. My current desktop was assembled for me by NCIX, and I've tinkered around and changed heat sink and the basic stuff. Even moved it to a new case! So I decided I would build it myself this time.

It will be primarily used for gaming. My budget is about CAD$1000 before tax for the items I have yet to buy. Current resolution is 1680x1050, but will be upgrading soon. I do plan on overclocking my cpu, but of course only after I get a non-stock heatsink. :)

I already purchased a few things/ am transferring them to the new build:
Case: NZXT Phantom
SSD: Crucial M4 128gb
Blu-ray: Something Asus
HDDs (2x WD Caviar Black)

The following is what I will be buying to complete the build.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
PSU: Corsair AX650
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V (I need wifi)

For ram I'm looking at the Corsair Vengeance Blue, since it matches the mobo and.. I honestly don't know much about ram, so I just chose 8gb-1600, haha. I'm wondering if I should go with the low-profile version as I will without a doubt be adding a different CPU heatsink in the following weeks.

Of course I will be price-matching, but I'm kind of surprised to see most of the stuff is cheaper at NCIX because of deals that, of course, end today.

If anybody has any suggestions for things to change that would be great, or if all there is to say is "Looks good, buy it" that's appreciated too! Another thing, I don't know too much about PSUs, so is that 650w OK for this build?

OH! Nearly forgot thermal compound! I'm looking at Arctic Cooling MX-4, but of course if there's something better... Also, will it be good for 2 applications? I'm looking at using it with the Intel heatsink and for when I replace that. Thanks!